- Fire Loss
- Emergency Services
- The Process
- Commercial Services
- Electronics Recovery
- Contact Us
Every year, there are more than one million residential and commercial fires in the United States. Regardless of whether the fire is large or small, it can leave behind lasting fire damage that effects the look and safety of your property. If a fire has affected your home or business, J. Bowers Construction can help. We specialize in emergency restoration services that include fire damage restoration, water damage restoration and reconstruction services.
The Effects of a Fire on Your Home
A fire is a severely destructive and traumatic event, no matter its size and scale. While many people only envision the damage left by the flames, fire damage can have many different effects on your home.
- Fire damage occurs when extreme heat or the actual flames of the fire affect the structure and contents of your home or business. This type of damage results in: smoke odor, charring of building materials such as carpet and paint, and melting or complete destruction of your personal contents. The structural integrity and safety of your home or business may also be jeopardized. It is important to address any affects of fire damage quickly to ensure your home is safe to inhabit and your contents are safe to use.
- Smoke is actually a suspension of tiny particles and chemicals that are created when a fire burns through material. During a fire, everything in your home is subjected to this suspension, which can cause discoloration, deterioration, corrosion, and leave unpleasant odors or residue behind. Even if you don’t see visible smoke damage right away, the effects of smoke exposure may appear over time and damage items past the point of restoration if prompt steps are not taken.
- Many firefighting techniques can also leave behind damage, even as the fire department stops the fire in your home. Water damage from sprinklers and fire hoses may range from mild to severe, while other firefighting tools, such as extinguishers, can leave behind chemicals or residue that affect your home.
Minimizing Fire Loss With J. Bowers Construction Company
Because fire damage can have widespread and long-lasting effects on your home, they are not a disaster you can clean up on your own. The key to minimizing your fire loss is hiring a fire damage restoration company as soon as possible. Fire damage professionals can quickly spot the signs of fire damage and begin taking steps to reverse it, helping to save more of the materials, appliances, and belongings in your home. If you wait to call in professionals, the damage caused by smoke and water can become permanent and lead to further problems, such as water damage and mold growth that compounds the fire damage already affecting your home. If you need help with fire damage restoration or water damage repairs, please call J. Bowers Construction today at (800) 289-9050.
Smoke Cleanup & Fire Damage Repairs
WE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY TO BOARD UP YOUR PROPERTY, PROTECTING IT FROM INTRUDERS & THE ELEMENTS.
Combining decades of experience with a dependable and dedicated staff, Design Restoration responds immediately to board up your property, protecting it from intrusion and the elements. After we assess the damage, we begin carefully cleaning all soot and traces of extinguishing chemicals from your walls and possessions. While working, we also simultaneously document the loss, making it easy for your insurer to track the progress of the claim with the latest claims management technology.
We at J. Bowers Construction understand the effects heat, smoke and chemicals have on your possessions and know that immediate action is required to save many items from having to be replaced. Our team promises an expert understanding of these processes and procedures to help avoid additional expenses. We also help prevent further damage while ultimately easing such a stressful time for you and your loved ones.
BIG OR SMALL – WE TAKE CARE OF THEM ALL
Depending on how the fire originated, the clean-up and restoration procedure varies. We have the technical expertise and tools needed to assess the damage and organize the correct course of action. We have experience with smoke and fire damage of all origins, including:
- Kitchen Fire
- Whole House Fire
- Furnace Malfunction
- Electrical Fire
- Gas Fire
- Chemical Fire
SMOKE & FIRE DAMAGE RESTORATION PROCESS
- Board Up Service
- Damage Assessment
- Soot & Smoke Removal
- Water Extraction
- Structural Drying
- Structural Cleaning
- Personal Property Cleaning
- Deodorization & Cleaning Decontamination
- Corrosion Control
- Fire Damage Reconstruction
Bowers Construction Guarantees:
- We will get you back into your home as quickly as possible
- Integrity on price and scope
- Seamless facilitation of the insurance claims handling process
- Complete restoration to pre-loss condition
- 100% satisfaction with the end result
J. Bowers Construction Has Had Since 1959 To Perfect Our Fire Damage Cleanup Process
Trust your home or business to the most experienced team of technicians in Ohio. By continuously investing in the latest and highest quality disaster cleanup technology, training and specialty equipment, J. Bowers Construction has the ability to restore any residential or commercial property after a fire disaster. We take the following steps to maintain your safety while facilitating Rapid Recovery:
BOARD UP AND EMERGENCY SERVICES
During a fire, firefighters may break windows and cut holes in the roof and walls to provide ventilation, slowing the fire’s growth. After they extinguish the fire, we extract standing water and board up any holes to the exterior, and even provide temporary fencing, if needed, to protect your home and belongings from the elements.
One of our experienced estimators evaluates the fire damage to your home or business. Depending on the type and severity of the fire, they will estimate the amount and type of work needed to restore your property and personal possessions to their original condition.
SOOT AND SMOKE REMOVAL AND DEODORIZATION
Not only do soot and smoke contain chemicals harmful to your health, but they can permeate carpets, drapes, and other textiles within your home. We eliminate the odor along with the potential risk with immediate cleaning, using professional tools and equipment. We use industry approved techniques to break up smoke molecules, eliminating odors and dangerous chemicals from every type of fabric.
STRUCTURAL DRYING AND CLEANING
If water was used to suppress the fire, J. Bowers Construction will need to extract the water from each effected area. We then use industrial air movers to accelerate evaporation and dehumidifiers to pull moisture from the air—the fastest drying process possible. Once your home is dry, we clean any surfaces affected by smoke residue and moisture using EPA registered antimicrobial disinfectants for the safest sterilization. Your health and safety is our highest priority.
PERSONAL PROPERTY CLEANING
Bowers Construction has facilities dedicated to disinfecting and eliminating hazardous smoke residue and soot from your home and belongings. From framed family photos to your child’s favorite stuffed animal, we understand that every single item in your home contains a memory.
Once we finish cleaning, decontamination, and other mitigation processes, our in-house team of professional contractors restore walls, flooring, ceilings, structural elements, and woodwork to their original conditions. We want your home to match your memory of it.
Northeastern Ohio Fire Damage Tips
Our team of experts will be there soon. Your health and safety are our main priorities. While you wait for help to arrive, follow these tips to keep you protected while facilitating a more rapid recovery:
Do’s and Don’ts Until We Get There
After the damage, it is natural to want to start cleaning up the building and its contents. Timely action can be a great help, but incorrect or delayed action can jeopardize or seriously impede satisfactory restoration.
- Once you are allowed back on the premises, check your insurance policy and then contact a restoration company.
- Open all windows to vent smoke and start the drying process.
- Discard all foodstuffs exposed to fire damage or smoke damage.
- If smoke has reached living areas, plan on moving out temporarily.
- Check your insurance policy for Out of Home Living provisions.
- Take pictures for insurance purposes if a camera or video recorder is available.
- Begin saving receipts for any expenditures related to fire loss for insurance purposes.
- Clean and protect chrome trim on kitchen appliances, bathroom faucets, tub fittings, and towel bars with a light coating of Vaseline or other oil.
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose smoke particles from upholstery, drapery and carpet.
- Change furnace filter if blower is operating.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is off, and prop door open with a rolled towel or newspaper.
- Pour antifreeze in toilet bowls, sinks, and tubs to prevent freezing if heat is off in winter.
- Wash plants with water on both sides of leaves (water softener helps).
- Call plumber to drain heating system if heat is off during cold weather.
- Remove pets (especially birds) to a clean environment.
Ash and soot contain dangerous chemicals that are extremely hazardous to your health.
- Remove ash or water from carpets and floors. It’s not only dangerous, but in most cases carpets need to be replaced.
- Vacuum, touch the walls, or remove drapes. We have the proper equipment to safely remove and clean salvageable items from your home.
- If the fire department turns off your utilities (water, electricity, and gas) before they leave, it means they are unsafe to use. Do not try to turn them back on by yourself as this could be very dangerous and cause further damage to your home.
- Attempt to wash walls, ceilings or other absorbent surfaces.
- Sit on upholstered furniture.
- Use exposed food items, including canned goods, which have been subjected to excessive heat.
- Use TV’s, stereos, or electrical appliances until cleaned and checked.
- Send smoked garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke and odor into the textiles.
Help With Claims
Understanding the Claim Process
For people experiencing a disaster for the first time, navigating through your insurance company’s claims process can be cumbersome. Since 1959 J. Bowers Construction has worked closely with property owners and insurance companies to complete the process quickly and efficiently. J. Bowers Construction offers the following five step guide to help simplify submitting and working through your claim:
- Step 1: Submit your claim
- You can submit your claim through your insurance agent and often through a select representative of your insurance provider. Typically you may submit your claim in several different ways, including over the telephone or over the internet. In most cases, you will talk to your agent who then provides you with direction and, in some cases, submits the claim on your behalf.
- Step 2: Property adjuster assigned
- Following the submission and filing of a claim, your insurance company will assign a property adjuster to assess your claim. While this is the most common scenario, your insurance company’s claims process may differ. The assigned property adjuster will usually meet you at your home or property to inspect the damage and then move forward with settling the claim.
- Step 3: Look into your insurance policy
- Understanding your insurance policy is a vital step to the process. One of the items often overlooked within a property policy is the necessity and responsibility of the property owner to prevent further damage to the property. With that said, it becomes the home owner’s responsibility to communicate with your insurance carrier, and if necessary, submit a claim without delay. Staying in your home may be unsafe, resulting in additional costs for food, lodging, etc. You will need to keep track of all associated expenses, as you may need to submit receipts as part of the claim for reimbursement.
- Step 4: J. Bowers Construction takes it from here
- Understand that in most cases, it takes time for your insurance company to process and settle the claim after submission. Several factors contribute to the length of processing time. Some claims may take as little as days, and others take months to go through from beginning to end.
- Regardless of time frame, J. Bowers Construction acts quickly to minimize the impact on your home and family. We work with your insurance provider on every aspect of your claim to save time and expedite the repair process. Our goal is to return your property to pre-loss condition as soon as possible.
- Step 5: The work is finished – what’s next?
- Since 1959 J. Bowers Construction has the experience of working with insurance providers and homeowners. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding claims. Call us at 800-289-9050 or send us your contact information for a call back.
- Ultimately, your insurance provider may hold you responsible for paying your deductible, usually collected by the selected contractor before work begins. Familiarize yourself with your policy to ensure you pay the proper deductible, if required.
- J. Bowers Construction has over 57 years of experience working with insurance providers and homeowners. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding claims. Call us at 800-289-9050 or send us your contact information for a call back.
- Can my home be repaired or rebuilt after a fire?
- Yes. J. Bowers Construction has the most experienced fire mitigation and reconstruction teams in the region since 1959! We can take care of the smallest stovetop fire, to the largest “total loss” property restoration projects. No matter how extensive the damage to your home, our certified technicians and experienced estimators completely restore your home to pre-loss condition. There is no charge for one of our tenured fire damage experts meet you at your home and give you an assessment of the damage and answer any questions you have.
- I had a fire, but it didn’t do any damage to the structure of my home. It has been days, but I can’t get the smoke odor out!
- Over the years, J. Bowers Construction has developed a state-of-the-art process and is equipped with the industry’s most advanced structural cleaning and deodorization equipment to help you eliminate the odors caused by fire. Give us a call today, and we’ll develop a plan to safely and effectively remove the soot and residual odors caused by the fire.
- I had a fire in my home, and the Fire Department used a LOT of water to put out the fire! Can J. Bowers Construction take care of the fire AND flood damage?
- Yes! J. Bowers Construction is your one-stop shop solution for flood, fire, mold and disaster cleanup. Visit the “Meet Our Team” section of the “Company” tab to see just how experienced out team of industry professionals are. J. Bowers Construction has more equipment and expert manpower than any restoration company in the state!! Let J. Bowers Construction take the worry out of the extensive cleanup process and concentrate on your family, while we restore your home.
- Can I clean up after a fire myself?
- We highly advise against this as it could make the damage worse! Aside from your protecting your contents from further damage, we’re concerned for your health! A fire scene is not a healthy environment for you to be in as the quality of the air you are breathing is very poor. If you are insured, the quickest way to get your home and contents restored is to call a respected and established fire restoration company like J. Bowers Construction!
Northeast Ohio’s Fire Damage Prevention
Home Fire Prevention
Safeguarding against potential fire hazards will significantly reduce the likelihood of a fire affecting your home and family. Make fire safety a priority in your home.
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it monthly.
- Prevent electrical fires by never overloading circuits or extension cords.
- Use appliances only as directed by the manufacturer. Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible.
- Keep fire in the fireplace. Use fire screens and have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Install an affordable home fire safety sprinkler system. In addition to keeping you safe, they can increase property value and lower insurance rates.
- Plan your escape. Practice your exit strategy from every room in the house.
- Take the time to educate your children about the dangers of fire.
For more detailed information regarding safety planning and fire prevention, visit the U.S. Fire Administration’s website: www.usfa.fema.gov
GET YOUR BUSINESS BACK UP AND RUNNING QUICKLY AND SAFELY
Besides the worry of getting your building repaired, you are more than likely also concerned with the money you could lose with your time our of production and or the safety of your staff. All of these concerns can be very stressful but J. Bowers Construction understands how important it is for business owners to reduce the loss of revenue after a disaster. Knowing that we work hard to get the job done fast yet safely while accurately documenting every step in our claims management software. So no matter if you are dealing with destruction from a storm, flood or fire damage, J. Bowers Construction is prepared to mitigate the loss ensuring confidence and trust. Check out our disaster pre-planning guide for more information on how to plan for the unexpected.
Electronics Decontamination And Data Recovery
Case Histories have shown that 80% of fire and water damaged electronics and communications equipment can be successfully restored to pre-loss condition. Reviving your electronics, when appropriate, can save as much as 85% over replacement cost and can be completed within days.
Our Contents Restoration Team can restore a wide range of electronic equipment including:
- Computer Systems
- Control Devices
- Home Appliances
- Home Entertainment Systems
- Manufacturing and Testing Equipment
- Microwave and Convection Ovens
- Radio and Telephone Systems
- Robotics and Automation Components
- Security and Surveillance Systems
- VCR and Television Systems
- Medical Equipment
Electronics Recovery Process:
- Evaluate and Disassemble
- Cleaning and Decontamination
- Electronics Drying
- Inspection and Testing
Bowers Construction electronics cleaning and decontamination lab is designed to process and restore damaged and contaminated electronics and data. Once items arrive in the EDS lab, they are handled and processed in an engineered and controlled environment.
- EVALUATE AND DISASSEMBLE
Pre-evaluated electronics are first taken to the Disassembly Station, where they can be more closely inspected and a course of action determined. They are then disassembled and prepped for cleaning and decontamination.
- CLEANING AND DECONTAMINATION
Disassembled items are brought to the HP wash Bay where they are thoroughly cleaned and decontaminated in controlled conditions, solutions and environment.
- ELECTRONICS DRYING
Electronic circuitry are baked dry using radiant heating technology at precisely controlled temperatures.
- INSPECTION AND TESTING
Items are carefully reassembled, inspected, and tested for proper operation prior to repackaging for shipment.
Unfortunately, time works against recover. Once a disaster occurs, act fast by contacting an electronics restoration company like J. Bowers Construction to stop corrosion in its tracks. Our goal is to restore whenever possible, saving you and your insurance company money in the process. We also provide periodic cleaning and decontamination of electronic devices, significantly increasing reliability and longevity of the equipment.
We offer free evaluations at any time of the day. To receive an estimate, call 800-289-9050 or you may send us your contact information and we will call you.
When disaster strikes, knowing you have professional help can bring you peace of mind. Acting quickly is the key to preventing damage from worsening or putting your family’s health at risk. J. Bowers Construction is a disaster recovery company specializing in emergency restoration services in Akron/Canton, including water removal and restoration, fire damage clean up, and mold remediation for residential and commercial properties. Please call us anytime at (800) 289-9050 for an evaluation to get your property safely on the road to restoration.
Phone: (800) 289-9050
Address: 3113 Mogadore Rd. Akron, OH 44312